New York Penal Law 240.35(4) prohibits the wearing of masks, so I'm using sunglasses instead.
18. I'm bucking for a Section Eight.
17. They're not sunglasses, they're x-ray specs. But I can't see x-rays...
16. Rough night (see #4)
15. If I act incognito, perhaps someone will mistake me for a celebrity.
14. I'm in mourning for my lost mouse Finklestein. *sniffle*
13. I'm hiding the shiner I got fighting a horde of Nazi zombie ninja sharks in Asbury Park.
12. I'm testing my Huey Lewis cosplay outfit before the New York Comic Con next week.
11. I'm field testing the next iteration of Google Glass. That's a cute belly button. Are you aware that a dating profile you created in high school is still active? And has 153 unread messages, 17 from last month alone? Your fanfiction 'ships aren't bad, but your slash needs a bit more spice. Hey, where are you going...?
10. I'm on a mission from God.
9. I lost one of the contacts which camouflage my reptilian irises.
8. I underwent a cyborg implant during the weekend, and the sensors need to adjust and calibrate before going online.
7. Sunglasses, what sunglasses?
6. “Wooo. It's like a drug. Wearing these glasses gets you high, but you come down hard.” (I hope you have some bubblegum…)
5. These are Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses. They go completely dark at any hint of peril, allowing me to develop a relaxed attitude towards danger.
4. I’m avoiding my fifteen minutes of infamy. If anyone asks, that was someone else.
3. It’s time for my midlife crisis, so I’m reliving the 80s. I’ll rent a convertible after work, date a woman half my age, and sing bad karaoke.
2. All New Yorkers avoid eye contact, as well as practice detachment from society. I’m just taking that to the logical extreme with sunglasses.
1. I broke my eyeglasses. (How? That’s the next “Top Ten” list.)?
Monday, October 1, 2012
Monday, January 2, 2012
The song was written by Charles Fox (music) and Paul Williams (lyrics). It became the theme music of the popular American television series The Love Boat, broadcast between 1977 and 1986. Jones's version was used as the opening tune for most of the seasons, only to be replaced by Dionne Warwick's cover in the last one.(From the Wikipedia article.)
This is one of the rare TV themes available at karaoke bars. I like to sing it, as it has a nice disco beat, with a lounge lizard style. (Nothing against Mr. Jones, it's just the way I sing it.)
Sunday, January 1, 2012
I love when marching bands cover popular music.
I can sing the aria to "What's Opera, Doc?"
I'm fascinated by television theme songs, especially those with lyrics, specifically those with lyrics which are rarely heard on television.
It started when "Cheers" went off the air. One of the entertainment magazines featured the lyrics, which were never heard on air:
All those night when you've got no lights,
The check is in the mail;
And your little angel
Hung the cat up by it's tail;
And your third fiance didn't show;
Roll out of bed, Mr. Coffee's dead;
The morning's looking bright;
And your shrink ran off to Europe,And didn't even write;And your husband wants to be a girl;
WOW! Those were pretty cool!
Then I remembered that M*A*S*H had lyrics in the movie, which never aired on television because those lyrics were specific to a story in the movie.
Then, in 1997, there was an official history book for Star Trek, to celebrate the 30th (sigh) anniversary of the series. Inside, was the original sheet music to the theme song, WITH LYRICS! (Roddenberry, in a money-grubbing move, added lyrics so he could earn half the royalties on the theme. Alexander Courage was not pleased.)
It slowly snowballed from there, as I picked up trivia from various sources and found sheet music collections.
Thanks to YouTube and other resources, it's now less difficult to find the original recordings (on vinyl!) online.
Thus, in 2013, I created a hashtag #forgottentvlyrics, and began posting to social media. Twitter and Facebook didn't have good indexing, so I placed everything on Google Plus. Since then, I've realized, why not transfer everything here, so I can at least make a few pennies. (And who knows how much longer Google Plus will remain viable?)
The following is a list of what I've found so far. As I copy posts over to here, I'll include links in the titles.
One more note... I'm doing all this in 2015, but placing everything in 2012, which was empty of posts. I don't want to clutter up my regular feed.
The list (so far)
- The A*Team [full theme]
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents [full theme]
- All in the Family
- All In The Family [closing theme with lyrics!]
- American Bandstand
- The Andy Griffith Show
- Baretta (Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow)
- Beverly Hills 90210 [no lyrics, just the full theme]
- Buck Rogers in the 21st Century
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer [theme only]
- Charlie's Angels
- CHiPS [theme only, but a rockin' 12" version]
- Davy Crockett
- The Dick Van Dyke Show
- Duck Tales
- The Dukes of Hazzard
- The Facts of Life
- The Fall Guy
- Gilmore Girls
- The Greatest American Hero
- Happy Days [alternate lyrics]
- Have Gun Will Travel
- Hogan's Heroes
- The Paper Chase
- I Dream of Jeannie
- I Love Lucy
- Joannie Loves Chachi
- Laverne & Shirley (Making Our Dreams Come True)
- Leave It To Beaver (The Toy Parade)
- Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous
- The Love Boat
- The Mary Tyler Moore Show
- Makin' It
- Malcolm in the Middle
- The Man from U.N.C.L.E. [I need a source!]
- Merrily We Roll Along (Merrie Melodies) [I need a source!]
- The Merry Go Round Broke Down (Looney Tunes)
- The Munsters
- The Odd Couple
- Peter Gunn
- Star Trek
- Taxi [full theme]
- To Tell The Truth
- 21 Jump Street
- Welcome Back Kotter
- WKRP in Cincinnati
- Wonder Woman
- The Bill Cosby Show (Hicky Burr)
- Ironsides [theme only]
- The Untouchables [theme only]
- Route 66
- Naked City
- The Rogues [the previous four are by Nelson Riddle]
- Peter Gunn [alternate lyrics?]
- Mr. Lucky
- NBC Mystery Movie
- What's Happening!!
- Tic Tac Dough (1990 version)
- Once Is Not Enough
- Remington Steele
- Ripley's Believe It or Not [All by Henry Mancini]
That reminds me... I wonder how long the Dallas theme runs?
That's got a nice disco beat as well!
Hmmm.... maybe I'll do a separate post on remixes!