Sunday, February 20, 2022

CLiP1K: What the heck am I doing?


So, just why am I posting so many graphic novels under this category?
  1. I like to read comics. They are a medium that allows me to set the pace, and it combines words and pictures in a way that is magical once you learn how to read a comic.

  2. I love to learn all sorts of things. My curiosity is eclectic and eccentric, and I have a random access memory... I don't know when I'll make a crazy connection, or when I'll need to know something, or when my imagination will wonder "What if...?"

  3. Comics, with words and pictures and the ability to set the speed, are perfect for teaching and showing! Don't believe me?
  4. I'm a librarian. That's due to the overlap of wanting to help people, and loving to read and learn. 

  5. I'm a comics evangelist. I want everyone to read comics, and I want them to discover the amazing stuff you can find in a comic, whether it's fiction, non-fiction, fine art, or any other communication.

  6. So, I'm always searching for comics, especially non-fiction comics which scratch so many itches on the inside of my skull. 

  7. So, one night in the library, I thought, "Can I find a graphic novel or comic book for every single number of the Dewey Decimal Classification system?" 000 - 999.  One thousand titles! 

  8. Well, I did, kinda. You can read my early results here. In 2015, I found 506 titles. 

  9. Now, seven years later, I'm relaunching this idea. First, I posted a title to cover all ten classes of DDC. Next step is to find 100 titles for each division, and then finish with 1,000 titles covering every section!  

No comments:

Post a Comment